Thursday, November 8, 2012

Stop whining and pay your taxes

I know I've mentioned this before, but can we finally stop demonizing poor people? 

Although the election is over, the rants about our entitlement culture are still raging.  But here's a simple fact:  All Americans - regardless of social class, race, gender, or age - have a sense of entitlement.  It's part of being American.  It's also part of living in a relatively affluent country.  We all benefit from the multitude of things provided by our government - federal, state, and local.  Whether it's food stamps, public schools, libraries, or roads and bridges, we all benefit.  And every disparate group of us wants to keep benefiting in whatever ways we've become accustomed to benefiting.

For some reason, though, many folks like to place their collective ire on poor people, who they label as entitled, undeserving, and greedily sucking from the government teat.  Being naturally curious, I wanted to now how much income goes to fund programs for the poor.    

If you're curious like me, check out this Federal Taxpayer Receipt application.  Since my illegally-wed wife and I can't file joint tax returns, I entered our tax information separately then added our individual tax contributions to get our household totals.  In 2011, my spouse and I paid a total of $17,543 in federal income and payroll taxes.  Fortunately for me, I like paying taxes, because I like most of things my taxes provide to me and my fellow Americans.  I don't like everything my tax dollars support, but that's just part of the compromise required for our social contract.   Still, the nifty thing about the taxpayer receipt is that it shows you how much of your income and payroll taxes go to various programs. 

To put my tax dollars in context, I compared them to two areas of discretionary personal spending in my household -- cable TV and Indian food - to see if I'm really over-taxed.  I looked at all areas of national defense spending, and I looked at programs I think most folks would consider "welfare" programs (TANF, SSI, food stamps, WIC, unemployment benefits, and Medicaid).  

In this first chart, you can see that more of my household's hard-earned money went to national defense programs than to welfare programs or to tasty Indian food and cable. 


In the second chart, I've broken things down more. 

 
In 2011, my spouse and I spent $1,257.89 on food at our favorite Indian restaurants.  Comparatively, only $429.46 of our federal income taxes went to support various food assistance programs (food stamps, WIC, and school lunch programs).  Let me help you with that math:  we spent nearly 3 times as much on curry as we contributed to food for the poorest inhabitants of our great country.  Additionally, we spent nearly 15 times as much on cable TV as we contributed to the temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) program. 

I'm an atheist, but even I think it would be immoral of me to complain about my tax dollars funding social safety net programs when my household has the discretionary income to spend $200 a month on curry and cable.  I could not possibly feel good about my life if I begrudged the least among us access to basic needs like food and shelter. 

So, if you have the good fortune to spend money on things that you want instead of just on things that you need, I have this to say to you:  Stop whining and pay your taxes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment