Thursday, August 25, 2011

I need to find a cousin to marry, because at least that's legal

I happened to run across the license for my teenage, heterosexual marriage while sorting through files tonight.  I remember when Jason and I were getting the license, the clerk asked us if we were related.  We both just chuckled, thinking it was a rural joke.  But the question is actually on the marriage license. 

Jason and I were not related in any way.  Even if we had been, we could still have gotten the license, as long as we were more distantly related than second cousins.  I mean, in Kentucky, we could have had the same great great grandmother and still been permitted to marry.

Now, some 14 years later, there's nothing I'd like more than to marry my current partner of nearly 6 years.  But I can't.  Not because we're related (as we're not), but because we're both legally women, and Kentucky prohibits marriage between two people of the same sex, as do most states.   

Despite hillbilly stereotypes, Kentucky is pretty conservative as far as laws pertaining to cousin marriage.  Kentucky law prohibits first and second cousins from marrying.  Nineteen (19) states have no prohibitions against cousin marriage at all, and an additional seven (7) states allows 1st cousin marriage under some circumstances.  Only six (6) states allow same-sex couples to marry.

Let me break that down for you:  4 times more states allow first cousins to get married than allow same sex couples to marry.  4 times. 

So here's my question:  What kind of backwards, redneck country is okay with cousins getting married but thinks two people with vaginas getting married will destroy the moral fabric of our nation?  I really need to find a cousin to marry and make me some purebred babies.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment