Thursday, December 22, 2011

Personal Space & Spooning

I don't like people in my personal space.  I often remind people:  If I can extend my arm and touch you, you're too close.

As one might deduce, I'm not much of a hugger, either.  I try to be ever-vigilant with my anti-hugging body language, but it doesn't always work. 



I seem to be surrounded by huggers, both at home and work.  I have a co-worker who even likes to lurk outside my office door to ambush hug me when I least expect it.  No matter how bad-ass and unapproachable I try to be, I think I'm just too cute and cuddly for my own good.


Despite all of these issues I have with being stood near, touched, or hugged, there's nothing I love more than spooning.  I honestly don't understand how people sleep in the same bed without spooning.  I've spooned every partner I've had.  I'm always the big spoon (or, as I prefer to call it, the alpha spoon). 

Here's what some expert says about spooning:

Traditional spooning is the most common position adopted by couples during the first few years of their relationship or marriage. If the spooning is comfortable, is received with no tension in the limbs and seems balanced, it shows both a strong sexuality and feeling of security in the relationship. One partner is saying with their body, “I can turn my back on you and know I am safe—you have my back.” The other is saying, “I want to surround you and take you in.” This Spoon position has been shown to increase intimacy in couples and reduce the stress of both partners.

Kate and I have been sleeping together for over 6 years now, and we still spoon every night.  I think spooning helps keep us both feeling sane and connected in this cold, distant world.  We'll be that old couple in Titanic, spooning right til the end.  


Spooning is just good for the soul.  So spoon someone tonight (preferably with their consent). 








1 comment:

  1. I agree completely about the hugging and touching. Ew. I LOVE YOU, Butchy Crocker!

    ReplyDelete