Thursday, August 9, 2012

Vaginal Dilators & Lesbian Typology


Vaginal dilators -- or ‘prescription dildos’ as I like to call them -- are often recommended for women who have undergone radiation therapy to the pelvis.  Radiation causes scar tissue and thus impairs the elasticity of the vagina, which in turn can make sex or pelvic exams unnecessarily painful. 

A lesbian associate of mine who has recently gone through radiation for cancer was given a vaginal dilator by her doctor today.  This lesbian associate is a self-identified “stone butch” and had to explain to her physician that her pelvic area is typically a healthcare-only zone.  Given the fact that my lesbian associate must now have frequent pelvic exams, the dilator is an unfortunate but necessary affront to her masculine identity.  In an attempt to comfort my emasculated stone butch associate, I suggested she punch a bear in the face every time she is required to use the dilator.  I also gave her the advice bequeathed to me by my loving wife, “We have holes for a reason.”

For those unfamiliar with lesbian typology, a ‘stone butch’ is, per Wikipedia:

A butch woman or trans man who is superlatively masculine in character and dress, who tops his/her partners sexually (and sometimes emotionally), and who is averse to sexual contact with their genitalia.

Given this definition, you can surely understand my lesbian associate’s dismay at being prescribed a dilator.

This got me thinking:  What kind of lesbian am I?  I am definitely butch/masculine.  I dress in men's clothing and I regularly get called ‘sir’.  But I am definitely not stone butch; I do not exclusively top my partners (emotionally or sexually) and my genitalia is definitely not a healthcare-only zone (unless you factor in my proclivity to have sex with nurses). 

I think I have coined a new typology to best describe my gender/sexuality –

I am a clay butch. 

To help you understand this new type of butch, let’s refer to the definition of the word ‘clay’:

clay
noun
1.      An earthy material that is plastic when wet and hardens when heated
2.      Moist sticky earth

Clay just describes me better.  Clay is far more malleable than stone.  Clay, unlike stone, does not necessarily crumble into pieces after taking a vigorous pounding.  And, clay will do or become whatever you want if you’re skilled enough with your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment